This post was updated on 22nd April 2019
Singapore is a great destination for both honeymoon and family holiday; and USS is one of the most popular attractions. Its a good idea to plan USS visit well in advance to make the most out of your day. Read my post on Sentosa which will help you decide if you want a fun pass and also plan your day at Sentosa.
I am going to cover the rides/ shows in Universal Studio and give tips which will ensure you have a fun day at USS.The questions that I have tried answering are:
- What are the various rides/ shows in USS?
- What are the show timings?
- Are all USS attractions open even when it rains?
- Should one buy USS express pass?
- How are the various shows in USS(with videos and description)?
- How are the various rides in USS(with videos and description)?
- 17 tips to ensure you have a good time in USS.
What are the various rides/ shows in USS?
USS is divided in 7 zones and every zone has some rides and some shows. Download the USS map here (as on April 2018):
Various rides/ shows (along with their popularity and height restrictions) are:
- A crate adventure (ride) – most popular (Restrictions: Must be at least 80 cm. Children between 80 cm to 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- King Julien’s beach party merry-go-round (ride) (Restrictions: Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Madagascar Boogie (street show)
Far Far Away
- Shrek 4D adventure (4D ride) – most popular (Restrictions: Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Enchanted Airways (Roller coaster ride) – most popular (Restrictions: Must be at least 92 cm. Children between 92 cm to 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Magic Potion Spin (Ferris wheel/ Giant wheel for kids) (Restrictions: Children under 100 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Donkey Live (Show)
- Puss in Boots Giant Journey (ride)
- Dance for the magic beans (street show)
- Character meet and greet (after the Dance for the magic beans show)
The Lost World
- Water World (show) – most popular
- Canopy Flyer (ride) (Restrictions: Must be at least 92cm. Children between 92cm to 122cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Dino-soaring (ride) (Restriction: Hand held infants not allowed. Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Jurrasic Park rapids adventure (ride) – most popular (Restrictions: Must be at least 107 cm. Children between 107 cm to 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Amber-park rock climbing (rock climbing)
- Character meet and greet
- Treasure hunters (ride) (Restriction: Hand held infants not allowed. Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Revenge of the mummy (ride) – most popular (Restriction: At least 122 cm in height)
- Character meet and greet
- Transformers (3D ride) – most popular (Restrictions: Must be at least 102. Children between 102 cm to 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Accelerators (ride) (Restrictions: Hand held infants not allowed. Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult)
- Battlestar Galactica (human) (red track – roller coaster ride) – most popular (Restriction: At least 125 cm in height)
- Battlestar Galactica (cylon) (blue track – roller coaster ride)– most popular (Restriction: At least 125 cm in height)
- Character meet and greet
- Lights Camera Action (show) – most popular (Restrictions: Children under 122 cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase (ride) – (Restrictions: Must be at least 92 cm. Children between 92 cm to 122cm must be accompanied by an adult).
- The Rockafellas (street show)
- Sesame Street Stage shows (street show)
- Character meet and greet
- Elmo’s TV Time (show)
- Turntables (street show)
- Fireworks Spectacular – happens on Saturdays at 10pm
- Character meet and greet (MINIONS)– most popular
- Hollywood Dreams Parade– most popular
What are the show timings?
Show timing changes everyday and you can get a show schedule at the entrance. It looks something like this:
Make sure you collect this and decide which shows you want to catch. Plan accordingly.
Are all USS attractions open even when it rains?
Singapore being a tropical city; encounters rain throughout the year. Its best to check the weather forecast before visiting USS (check the NEA website 24 hr forecast).
There are no guidelines written, but here is a list of attractions and their status when it rains:
Rides which are open at all times (ones which are sheltered):
- Transformers – most popular
- Revenge of the mummy – most popular
- Madagascar: A crate adventure- most popular
- Shrek 4D adventure (4D ride) – most popular
- King Julien’s beach party merry-go-round (ride)
- Magic Potion Spin (Ferris wheel/ Giant wheel for kids)
- Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase
Rides which are open during light rain but not during thunderstorms:
- Jurrasic Park rapids adventure – most popular
- Battlestar Galactica (human) (red track – roller coaster ride) – most popular
- Battlestar Galactica (cylon) (blue track – roller coaster ride)- most popular
- Enchanted Airways (Roller coaster ride) – most popular
- Treasure hunters
- Puss in Boots Giant Journey (ride)
- Canopy Flyer (ride)
- Dino-soaring (ride)
Shows which are open at all times (ones which are sheltered):
- Lights Camera Action (show) – most popular
- Elmo’s TV Time (show) – most popular
Shows which are open during light rain but not during thunderstorms:
- Lake Hollywood Spectacular – most popular
- Hollywood Dreams Parade- most popular
- The cruisers
- Water World
- Dance for the magic beans
- Madagascar Boogie
Should I buy the USS Express pass?
USS express pass (worth anywhere between 30 SGD – 50 SGD per person) gets you in a priority queue for rides. The price is dynamic and increases as the day progresses. It is worth buying it if you are visiting USS on a weekend/ public holiday or one of the busy days at USS. Check my blog post on when to visit Sentosa/ USS to see how you can decide the date of your visit. If you have a 2 day pass, you will need to redeem your day pass. Even with the day pass, you will need to visit the ticketing booth at Universal Studio. The ticketing person can usually give you an idea if its a good idea to buy an express pass. When we visited, he advised us not to buy one since it wasn’t very crowded that day.
How are the various shows in USS?
We did not see all the shows because we wanted to make sure we do all the rides and didn’t find description of all shows interesting. You can read description below and decide which shows interest you.
- Elmo’s TV Time: This show is very popular with kids and has Sesame Street characters. I have uploaded some of our videos of USS shows and some other videos in a youtube playlist. You can access Elmo’s TV Time video by clicking here.
- Madagascar Boogie: Its a street show where popular characters of the movie Madagascar dance. It is followed by meet and greet session with them. Recording can be found here or in this playlist.
- Minions Meet and greet: One of the cutest and most popular meet and greet. Minions dance before the meet and greet can be seen in this video or in the youtube playlist.
- Donkey LIVE: This is an interactive show where one can sing along with the donkey character from Shrek movie. Check out the show in the youtube playlist.
- Dance for the magic beans is a street dance show where characters from “Puss in Boots” movie dance and interact with the audience.Video is available in the playlist.
- Lights Camera Action: This show is hosted by Steven Spielberg where they show how special effects are created onscreen. They create a category 5 hurricane in New York. One of the promotional videos is available in the playlist.
- The Turntables: Mel’s diner is one of the restaurants inside USS. It features the best pop-rock tracks to break the mainstream. You will have the ability to participate and choose the next song in the set list. Every show will be random and different! You can see one of the their performances in my youtube channel .
- Hollywood Dreams Parade: This is a road show where you can see characters of Madagascar, Jurrasic park, revenge of the mommy, Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe etc right on the streets.Video is available in my playlist.
How are the various rides in USS?
Most of the rides in USS are family friendly that can be taken by kids also. There are very few which are strictly for adults/ older children. We did not record any of the rides, but got some clips on youtube which you can find in my playlist.
- A crate adventure: This is a boat ride where you go through the jungle with Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman joining you.Check out the video here.
- King Julien’s beach party merry-go-round: This is a carousel for kids.
- Shrek 4D adventure: Its a 4D movie with characters from the Shrek movie. Video of the ride can be found at this link.
- Enchanted Airways: Its a small roller coaster ride.
- Magic Potion Spin: Its a ferris wheel for small kids.
- Puss in Boots’ Giant Journey: This is a roller coaster ride where the roller coaster is suspended below its track. Video available here.
- Canopy flyer: This is also a suspended roller coaster.
- Dino-soarin: This is a ride where you can sit on one of the dinosaur and soar up and down using a button.
- Jurrasic Park rapids adventure: This is one of the most popular rides and the queue can get really long. Its a water ride in which 6 people sit together and go through a river with rapids of various level. 2 or 3 people can get really really wet (I was one of them both the times we rode 🙂 ). Keep your bags/ camera etc in a safe outside which costs 4 SGD for an hour. If you have a raincoat, wear it. Ponchos are available there, each costing 4 SGD. If you are one of the people getting wet completely, this won’t save you much. Its more like a rain jacket. There are dryer booths available outside costing 5 SGD.
- Amber Park Rock Climbing: This is a good chance to try some rock climbing. Even kids can try it with harness attached. They provide climbing shoes and harness.
- Treasure Hunters: This is part of the Ancient Egypt zone and has a vintage car that needs to be driven on a track. Young kids will love this ride because they get to drive the “car” 🙂
- Revenge of the mummy: This high speed indoor roller coaster ride in the Ancient Egypt zone is again very popular. Its a roller coaster inside a dark place where one is swarmed by army of mummies, beetles etc. One of the videos can be found here.
- Transformers: This is a very interesting 3D ride where you are inside a car that races through the city, getting inside and outside of tunnels all when trying to save yourself and the world from transformers. The quality of animation is excellent. Link to transformers ride video on youtube.
- Accelerators: This is a high speed cup and saucer ride.
- Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase: This is for kids who love Sesame Street (or for grown-ups who grew up watching the show). Link to the video.
- Battlestar Galactica (human and cylon): This high speed roller coaster is not for faint-hearted like me 🙂 It has 2 lines – red track (human) and blue track (cylon). The red track does not get inverted while the blue track gets inverted. Battlestar Galactica can reach upto a speed of 90 km/hr. Its one of the most popular rides in USS. Battlestar Galactica video can be found here.
Tips to explore Universal Studio Singapore
Here are 17 tips to ensure you have a great fun-filled day at USS:
- Buy your tickets in advance: You can buy tickets on the sentosa store website. Check out the offers, events and fun pass. You may be able to get a discount/ promotion or complimentary meal vouchers. There are various websites like klook.com which offer discounted tickets, check them out too.
- Avoid weekends/ public and school holidays. If you can, plan your trip during low season. Check this post to know more.
- If you there on a busy day and plan to do most of the rides, get an express pass. It is available at the Guest Services booth located behind the USS entry gate.
- Arrive USS little early – say by 9:30 am. That gives you enough time to get express pass/ redeem day pass or take some customary pictures with the USS globe before the crowd starts getting in.
- Reach the entry point before USS opens (10 am).
- Get the USS Map and show schedules as soon as you enter. Keep 2-3 copies of the schedule; its a small paper and easy to get lost. Mark the shows and rides that you want to do for sure.
- Do not carry a lot. Food is not allowed inside USS. Carry sunglasses, hats, raincoats/ umbrella and an empty/ half-full bottle of water. There are water dispensers everywhere. Carry extra clothes if you have kids along.
- USS is not very big. You can come back to any zone later if you would want.
- Usually people like to cover zones one by one. Skip that and finish the most popular rides first. You can do any ride as many times as you want if you have time.
- Popular rides/ shows for children: A crate adventure, Madagascar Boogie, Meet and greet with Minions, Treasure hunters, water world, When I grow up, King Julien’s Beach party go-round, Dino soarin.
- Popular rides for everyone: Enchanted airways, Jurrasic Park Rapids adventure, Revenge of the mummy, Transformers, Battlestar Galactica.
- Rides with longest queues:
- Jurassic park rapids adventure
- Transformers the ride
- Canopy flyer
- Revenge of the mummy
- Treasure hunters
- Shrek 4D adventure
- Madagascar : a crate adventure
- Battlestar Galactica
- Lights camera action
- Enchanted airways
- Make use of the “child swap” program offered by USS. In their own words –Families with a young child may take advantage of our child swap programme. This allows one member of a party to watch over the child while the others may queue for and ride the attractions, then swap places with the guardian so that they may enjoy the rides as well. Please ask any attraction team member or Guest Services for further details.
- Do not stop for souvenirs or to take photos. You can come back later for that.
- If you have an express pass for some particular ride, you can come back and do it later. Finish the rides for which you do not have the express pass.
- Finish Battlestar Galactica before lunch. Its not a great ride with full stomach.
- Try to finish lunch early. Discovery Food court gets really crowded between 1 pm and 2:30 pm. Marty’s casa del wild and Mel’s drive in are less crowded, but the choices are less.
- For rides where you need to keep your stuff in a locker, minimise the locker time by taking it 10-15 min before getting into the ride. Lockers cost 4 SGD per hour.
- Be prepared to get wet in the Jurassic Park Rapid Adventure and waterworld show (if you plan to sit in the wet area). You may want to pack an extra shirt. There are dryers outside though, costing 5 SGD.
- Wear comfortable shoes. High heels, laced shoes may not be very comfortable walking around for so long.
Have you been to USS before and think I have missed out on some tips? Leave them in a comment below and I will add them here with credits 🙂
Do you know of someone travelling to USS who may need these fundae? Share this blog post with them.