Disclaimer: This post is a guideline for applying for Singapore tourist visa for Indian passport holders. The information is up to date at the time of writing this post. I will try to keep it as much updated as possible. You are advised to contact the embassy directly for specific questions not covered in this blog post.
Singapore offers a 30-day tourist visa for Indian passport holders and I have tried to answer as many questions I could think of when applying for a visa.
Do Indians need a visa to travel to Singapore?
Yes, all Indian citizens travelling to Singapore need a visa; unless you hold a diplomatic or official passport. The visa process is unfortunately not a very simple one like many other countries; unless you live in a metro city.
How long can an Indian tourist stay in Singapore?
Indian tourists can apply for a Singapore tourist visa that allows a stay for a maximum period of 30 days with a validity of 2 years. That said, it is up to the immigration to decide if they issue a single entry or multiple entry visa.
What is the Singapore Visa application process?
While Singapore visa application process is online, it does not mean tourists can just log in and apply for themselves. The visa application needs to go through authorised agents. Unlike countries like UAE, Malaysia etc which have assigned this job to VFS, Singapore has authorised travel agents to do this. This is where the process becomes complicated because then there are no standard procedures. Travel agents can charge anywhere between Rs.1900 to Rs.8000 per person for getting the visa. The visa application fee is SGD $30, which is approximately Rs.1500. Agents can charge anywhere upwards of Rs.300 as service charges.
Singapore has consulates in Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai. Depending on where you reside, the travel agent will need to apply for your visa in one of the consulates online. The consulates do not take walk-in applications and individuals are not allowed to apply online.
What are the documents required for Singapore tourists visa?
Common documents for everyone travelling to Singapore:
- Passport: Every person travelling needs to have a passport valid for 6 months from the date of entry in Singapore. Even infants need a passport. If you have had old expired passports, you need to present them too.
- Form 14 A: Form 14A-Singapore Visa. One copy duly filled per person.
- Covering letter stating the purpose of your visit. Download covering letter format for Singapore visa
- Two colour photographs of size 35mm x 45mm, taken within six months, against a white background, on a contract costume, on a semi-matte finish, both the ears visible with 80% of the face.
- A copy of the onward ticket or return ticket.
- Marriage Certificate for couples:
- Only for newly married
- Going to get married shortly, wedding Card/Betrothal Photos with an NOC from parents, along with the Signature proof.
- If married and spouse name is not endorsed on the passports.
- If the applicant’s passport is not issued in the area where they are applying for the visa, a copy of an address proof letter (ration card, E.B. card, vote id, driving license, Bsnl/Airtel/Reliance/Tata Indicom landline bill, tenancy agreement) is required. For eg., if you are residing in Mumbai but your address in the passport is of Delhi, you will need an address proof.
- Latest 6 months bank statement with bank stamp and signature.
- For people who are in service: NOC letter on company letterhead, a copy of Employee ID. Download NOC Letter format for Singapore Tourist Visa
- For people in business: Covering letter on Business letterhead, Visiting card.
- For retired people: Retirement proof
- For students: School ID card copy
- For married ladies travelling without their husband: NOC Letter and Signature ID proof from Husband/ Death Certificate if husband not alive.
- If invited by relatives/friends in Singapore
- Invitees Passport and Visa copies
- NIRC Card
- Invite Letter from the invitee
- Form V39A – Letter of Introduction. Download FormV39A-Singapore Visa.
How many days in advance can I apply for Singapore tourist visa? How long does it take to get the visa?
Singapore tourist visa application forms are accepted a month in advance. Processing time is usually around 3 – 5 working days excluding Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. If you are not staying in a metro city, sending documents and receiving them back by courier could take time, so apply with these in mind.
How do I get the list of authorised visa agents?
Download the list of authorised visa agents (AVA):
- Singapore Visa Agents – Delhi Kolkata Lucknow Jaipur List 2017
- List of Authorized Singapore Visa Agents-Mumbai consulate_2017
- Singapore Visa-List of Authorised Agents Chennai Consulate_June 2016
Note that some of them are not updated and the agents listed may not be handling the visa applications now. You can get the updated lists from the various consulates website:
- High Commission of the Republic of Singapore – New Delhi: http://www.mfa.gov.sg/newdelhi
- Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore – Chennai: http://www.mfa.gov.sg/chennai
- Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore – Mumbai: http://www.mfa.gov.sg/mumbai
If you are staying in non-metro cities, these travel agents require you to send documents by courier or hand them over in person. I am personally not in favour of sending passport by courier and make sure you use reliable courier services like BlueDart or Fedex. If you can, visit the closest authorised agent and hand them over the documents in person. This also ensures that the documents get verified immediately and you can provide necessary clarifications/ documents at the same time. You can then ask them to send you the documents back by courier after applying for the visa.
There are online agents like musafir.com, visahq.in; but it is best to get in touch with the authorised agents directly.
How can I check my visa application status?
After your Singapore visa application is submitted, the Visa agent will issue an application reference number to you. Application number would be something like:
- CNAxxxxxxSAxxxxxxxx (if applied in Chennai)
- DELxxxxxxSAxxxxxxx (if applied in Delhi)
- MUBXXXXXXSAXXXXXXX (if applied in Mumbai)
Follow these steps to check the status of your visa application:
Step 1: Go to Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) website at www.ica.gov.sg
Step 2: At ICA homepage, check for the section “Frequently Accessed eServices” and click on “Apply for Entry Visa(SAVE)”. The link is https://save.ica.gov.sg/save-public/
Step 3: Scroll the page down and click on “Status Enquiry”. Link is https://save.ica.gov.sg/save-public/index.xhtml
Step 4: Key in your Application Reference Number and Travel Document Number (Passport number)
Step 5: If your application is approved, click on “Proceed” to get the copy of the e-Visa or know the status.
Hope this post helps you answer your queries on Singapore Visa. If you know someone who is travelling to Singapore and can use this information, do share the post with them 🙂