A few general tips when travelling Mauritius:
- Get money exchanged from authorized agent (if you have to) – preferably carry forex card/ travel card and withdraw from ATM.
- Bargain everywhere – tourist prices are usually jacked up
- Rent a car: Car rentals are available in every area. Choose one close to your hotel. It is the best way to explore Mauritius. Indian licence works.
- Buy water in bulk from supermarket : Water in hotels are atrociously priced.
- Pack one jacket. Night temp dips even in their summer season. Evening winds are strong.
- Get a SIM Card: Orange is the best operator (costed 400 MUR for 1GB data, we didn’t bother about voice calls)
- Get a travel insurance. Given there is no direct flight from India, your check-in luggage will have to be transferred at your transit airport and there is a chance it can sometimes be missed/ delayed.